Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pomegranates

Did you know that there are eight verses in the Torah with the word pomegranate in them?  those verses are:
Exo 28:34 A golden bell and a pomegranate, a golden bell and a pomegranate, on the hem of the robe round about.
Exo 39:26 A bell and a pomegranate, a bell and a pomegranate, round about the hem of the robe to minister in; as the LORD commanded Moses.
1Sa 14:2 And Saul tarried in the uttermost part of Gibeah under a pomegranate tree which is in Migron: and the people that were with him were about six hundred men;
Son 4:3 Your lips are like a thread of scarlet, and your speech is comely: your temples are like a piece of a pomegranate within your locks.
Son 6:7 As a piece of a pomegranate are your temples within your locks.
Son 8:2 I would lead you, and bring you into my mother's house, who would instruct me: I would cause you to drink of spiced wine of the juice of my pomegranate.
Joe 1:12 The vine is dried up, and the fig tree languishes; the pomegranate tree, the palm tree also, and the apple tree, even all the trees of the field, are withered: because joy is withered away from the sons of men.

The Pomegranate
The pomegranate is a symbol of righteousness in Jewish tradition. It supposedly contains 613 seeds (I don't know if that is true but let's suppose it is.) that remind us of the 613 commandments (mitzvot) of the Torah.

And so I have designed a 'stylized' pomegranate wall hanging that includes the word pomegranate in Hebrew. You'll find I will sneak words in Hebrew into most of what I create.
Pomegranate in Hebrew pronounced ree-mon (with a long o sound)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog... Have to pass it on to my bride and boys for project ideas!!

Thanks for stopping by natsab and joining the conversation.

Shalom. Pete