Thursday, February 21, 2013

Purim Flavor

Like many others finding their way back to their Hebrew roots, I find myself overwhelmed trying to keep up with the Moadim or Feast Days of YHWH. So I do a little more each year decorating, cooking special foods, etc.

This week brings us the Festival of Purim. It's a victory celebration to commemorate the deliverance of the Jewish people from the evil Haman. The details are found in the Book of Esther. Things that I associate with Purim are masks (hidden), anything with a Persian flavor, crowns (representing Queen Esther), the Megillah (the scroll the Biblical narrative of the Book of Esther), groggers (noisemakers that are used to drown out the name of Haman when the Megillah is read) and, of course, Hamantashen (cookies shaped like Haman's hat).  I am sure I will add to my list in the future.

Since I haven't had any decorations in the past with Purim in mind, I decided to start this year. So, without further ado, I present my first Purim decorations.

No comments: